Eve

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

My corp is now in Veritas Immortalis (-V-). Our new alliance is at war with the damn Russians (Red Alliance) and has recently claimed a lot of their space. Tonight I think I'll run the gatecamps and see if I can't make it in.
Go go red menace fighters!

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Took an alt in a shuttle down the pipe and the coast was clear, so I headed down. No worries. A few of my corpmates have lost ships to roving Red gankgroups, though. I intend to join the countergankgang and blow some people up.

I can tank the battleship spawn solo by kiting it and staying out of his optimal range. Now if I just had the right ammo so I could actually kill it, I'd be in business.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Corpmate looted a faction webifier that sold for over 100M isk. He decide to dedicate five 15M chunks as matching funds for folks to get into their first battlecruiser, and I took him up on one. Now with a battlecruiser to fly I can tank every 0.0 spawn I've found so far.

Jonathan's PvE Cyclone

720mm Howitzer Artillery I [13xFusion M]
Heavy Missile Launcher I [29xHavoc Heavy Missile]

Medium Shield Booster II
Explosion Dampening Field I
Heat Dissipation Field I
Shield Boost Amplifier I
Ballistic Deflection Field I

Power Diagnostic System I

Valkyrie I
Valkyrie I
Warrior I
Warrior I
Warrior I
Light Armor Maintenance Bot I

3948 shield, 17.98/s, E/T/K/Ex=0/60/70/80
2875 armor, E/T/K/Ex=70/35/25/10
2354.340352 cap, +21.1/s, -24.8/s
198.0 m/s
105.3 DPS

Takes me a few minutes to bring down each battleship solo, but at 1M and up for the bounty alone plus the value of whatever it drops, it's so worth it. I found a two BS spawn this morning. After I drop one and work on the second, there's a respawn before I drop the second, so I can kill BSs until I run out of ammo or get bored. Now I'm racing to get 18M before Wednesday night so I can train up margin trading after I finish the prerequisites and then start placing buy orders with borrowed isk.

I have a few cruisers lying around now. I need to get them blown up in PvP. Here's a fitting for one that works as an anti-tackler in a larger gang to take down frigates and interceptors fitted with warp scramble and webifier.

Jonathan's Anti-Tackler Rupture

Medium Nosferatu I
Medium Nosferatu I
Dual 180mm AutoCannon I [133xFusion M]

Stasis Webifier I
Warp Disruptor I
10MN Afterburner I

Medium Armor Repairer I
Gyrostabilizer I
Gyrostabilizer I
800mm Reinforced Steel Plates I
Radioisotope Explosive Hardener I

Warrior I
Warrior I
Warrior I
Valkyrie I
Warrior I

1500 shield, 5.0/s, E/T/K/Ex=0/20/40/60
2889 armor, E/T/K/Ex=70/35/25/55
1150.0 cap, +9.87/s, -27.353/s
456.0 m/s
102.0 DPS

I also have super sexy plans for other PvP ships, but it'll be another month of training before I get where I want to be. Here's sort of a bait-and-switch solo pvp ship.

Jonathan's PvP Prophecy

Medium Nosferatu I
Medium Nosferatu I
Medium Nosferatu I
425mm AutoCannon I [40xEMP M]

10MN Afterburner II
Warp Disruptor I
Stasis Webifier I

Armor Explosive Hardener I
Armor Kinetic Hardener I
Capacitor Power Relay I
Capacitor Power Relay I
Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II

Warrior I
Warrior I
Warrior I
Warrior I
Warrior I

2625 shield, 8.75/s, E/T/K/Ex=0/20/40/60
3593 armor, E/T/K/Ex=66/44/68/66
2587.5 cap, +20.64/s, -44.422/s
386.8783783783784 m/s
70.7 DPS

This guy is supposed to win the battle of capacitor. The three Nosferatus suck my opponent dry while the two repairers keep up my armor. With resists of 66/44/68/66 I ought to be able to take quite a bit of damage until my opponent is out of cap. Then basically I keep him from running away with the webifier and warp disruptor until he slowly dies.

I have variants of the Prophecy and Cyclone with gang assist modules that I can't fit yet but am seriously thinking about training up. Then I can be sort of a bard in space. The alternative path is to head for battleships. There's a really nice PVP BS that I have my eye on: works equally well as close range or as sniping and has a good mix of possible damage types. It's quicker to get the skills for a BS, but I'm limited by the cost of the ship and modules. We'll see how fast my wallet ticks up.

One great thing about this game is with a given set of skills I can fly a large number of different ships and do a bunch of different things. Plus, with any given ship it is easy to refit and change the way it works. It's also fun to get into a fight with a fully insured cruiser now that I have a battlecruiser so all I lose is like five minutes worth of PvE if I die.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

[ 2006.07.20 03:53:15 ] Dwindlehop > k, that was weird.
[ 2006.07.20 03:54:03 ] Dwindlehop > i asked for a gang invite and got two. both asked me to warp to them.
[ 2006.07.20 03:54:17 ] Dwindlehop > i warped to the last one and there were 15 reds
[ 2006.07.20 03:54:19 ] Dwindlehop > boom
[ 2006.07.20 03:55:36 ] Dwindlehop > oh, i got a gang invite from a red.
[ 2006.07.20 03:55:39 ] Dwindlehop > goddamit.
[ 2006.07.20 03:55:41 ] Dwindlehop > i am dumb.
[ 2006.07.20 03:56:20 ] Roac Ravenspite > Yeah... about that BS...
[ 2006.07.20 03:57:13 ] Roac Ravenspite > You didn't lose much, did you? Just pvp outfit?
[ 2006.07.20 03:58:35 ] Stone Burner > I got 100 mil today from the lottery heh
[ 2006.07.20 03:58:51 ] Roac Ravenspite > Awesome. What lottery?
[ 2006.07.20 03:59:00 ] Stone Burner > I dunno.. I guess the alliance one
[ 2006.07.20 03:59:17 ] Stone Burner > that I was bitching about yesterday
[ 2006.07.20 03:59:32 ] Roac Ravenspite > Oh, right
[ 2006.07.20 03:59:39 ] Roac Ravenspite > The "they never said who won", one?
[ 2006.07.20 04:00:42 ] Stone Burner > yeah
[ 2006.07.20 04:00:55 ] Dwindlehop > hahhaha
[ 2006.07.20 04:00:56 ] Roac Ravenspite > :)
[ 2006.07.20 04:01:01 ] Dwindlehop > jsut an insured rupture with no t2
[ 2006.07.20 04:01:08 ] Roac Ravenspite > Ed McMan says hi.
[ 2006.07.20 04:01:22 ] Stone Burner > now I can according to fly around and die in Domies
[ 2006.07.20 04:03:04 ] Dwindlehop > well, i think i'm done for that night due to insane levels of awesomeness
I am too retarded to live.

quantus
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by quantus »

wow, yeah, bet you'll never do that again, hehehe
Have you clicked today? Check status, then: People, Jobs or Roads

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah no more talking in Local during fleet actions. My first group pvp and i get blown up before it even starts. So pathetic.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://eve-cas.com/f2a/ - current state of a a contested system

RA is the bad guys. KOS and LV are allies of ours. The coalition has a 24/7 (well, 23 because of downtime) gatecamp on this system to prevent Reds from trucking in reinforcements or POS (player owned station) fuel. A large is worth two mediums and a medium is worth two smalls. Whoever has the most POSes in the system has sovereignty of the system and controls the starbase or outpost. Starbases (outposts are identical but built by PCs instead of devs) have the markets, insurance, clones, best manufacturing facilities, best repair facilities, and best refining facilities, so they're worth a lot more than even a large POS (400M versus 30B).

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Our alliance jacked up fees over 10x, so we're leaving for another alliance in the coalition.

I trained the skills necessary to fly battleships. Now all I need is about 120M more isk so I can build one. Some folks in the corp have offered to help me out, so I need to raise maybe just a few dozen mil to get started.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I'm trying to scrape together the funds to buy a battleship by investing the cash I earn from ratting into buy orders for minerals and guns below market price. I figure I'll score off newbs who don't know better and vets who don't have the time to make the trip to safe space. Then I'll sell the junk at market price and make double or triple my money. I'm aiming to earn 40M and then borrow the rest from my corp. It'd be pretty simple if I just sat and played the game for four or five hours, but I don't really do that anymore.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

My corp put up a player-owned-structure (POS). POS is a notch below an outpost, but a notch above a secure container.

After you fly around, you dock at stations. Stations are usually owned by NPCs, though some 0.0 stations have been conquered by player alliances. Outposts are simply conquerable stations that are built by players. These are secure (though the conquerable ones can be taken over) and have various station services like the market, factories, refineries, and corporation hangars.

POS is not quite a station. You can't dock in it, but you can fly behind its force field which protects you from getting shot. Unlike an outpost, a POS can mount guns and defenses. It can also be destroyed. POSs can also be fitted with money-making structures. Ours has a couple of moon mining arrays and a reactor to combine the two raw materials it mines into a basic component. The mining arrays + reactor produce 100 Ceramic Powder units every hour, whether we're online or not. It also has a mobile research lab which allows us to perform research 25% faster.

If attacked, our POS will go into reinforced mode once it gets below 25% shield. In reinforced mode, it can't be hurt but it consumes fuel. We have about 24 hours worth of fuel in our POS in case some stray capital ship decides to take out our POS. If they attack, we get notice and we can mount a defense when the 24 hour period is up.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

And oh, on the battleship front. I borrowed money, got a Tempest, then we left 0.0 so I didn't have any targets. I took it into a complex (dungeon) and got it blown up, and decided I wanted to concentrate on cruisers and battlecruisers. That's why I've gotten so many Ruptures blown up recently. Anyway, I think I'm going to buy a Hurricane BPC and build myself a Hurricane and a Cyclone and fly each according to my whim. Hurricane is a much better ship (50% more damage!), but Cyclones are much cheaper and are easier to shield tank. Gah. 50%. I just calculated that. That's ridiculous. Maybe I'll just concentrate on Hurricanes.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/CRII/Latest.jpg

Let's recap. The first alliance my corp joined (OSS) lost sovereignty and dissolved. The second alliance we joined (Veritas Immortalis), and were subsequently kicked out of (but not before we had left), just announced that they have given up and dissolved because the Reds won the war that the coalition thought they were about to finish up six months ago. The coalition alliance we might have joined (KOS) dissolved for similar reasons. The alliance we thought about joining that was probably too hardcore for us (ASCN) got creamed by Band of Brothers, the premier 0.0 alliance. The alliance we thought about joining and probably could have made a decent go of it (ISS) has had all their stations taken from them by Dusk and Dawn, who coincidentally were the ones who smushed our first alliance. The friendlies we know in 0.0 are in FiX, which was an independent alliance until BoB crushed them and made them into a protectorate, and IAC, which appears to have given up their territorial claims and no longer controls an entire region, just a few systems.

So essentially, if you want to lose at Eve, be associated with me! Or maybe I only associate with losers. Tough call.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

You should see my guild history throughout wow. World of Dramacraft for sure!
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Sometimes I amuse myself by browsing people's corporation history, which is public info.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

I left my old corp. Great guys, but they're mostly carebear and there aren't too many actives. I joined a 0.0 PvP corp whose raison d'etre is relaxed pew pew. They have no territorial ambitions, they just fly around 0.0 and blow folks up. I've been a member for two nights and both nights there was pew pew aplenty, in gangs no less.

I put sell orders on all my stuff in empire where I had been hanging out and moved a Cyclone to 0.0 which I promptly lost due to insane levels of stupid. I intend to stockpile Cyclones, but I need to get all the modules and minerals together which means I need my sell orders to clear so I have the isk. C'mon folks, buy my stupid modules!

On a related note, I speculatively bought 69M worth of morphite in September or October, in the expectation that changes introduced in the November content patch would drive the price up. I sold a third of it for 38M in late October. I held onto the other two thirds until November hoping to make 96M on it. Instead, the price dropped by half and if I sold it, I'd get about 25M. 38+25= lose, so I haven't sold it yet. I'm hoping some miracle happens and I can sell it for approximately what I bought it for. So no more speculation, though I know of several folks who made a few billion just by buying the right module pre-buff. Instead I've been making money on the bid/offer spread, which is quicker and thus safer. If I had another 40M (or 96, heh) to sink into trading, I'd make a lot more money. Grr.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://myeve.eve-online.com/news.asp?a= ... 1378&tid=7

Kind of a boring read if you don't know all the names, but essentially an alliance of the oldest and most experienced players (Band of Brothers) and their allies are fighting a coalition of most of the rest of the game. Most of the South is now a warzone. I think my corp may move into the theatre soon, but they haven't told the grunts yet.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.eve-files.com/media/corp/CRII/Latest.jpg

The big blue in the lower left is BoB. They recently scooped up a bunch of territory from the fall of ASCN, a very large 0.0 alliance. The triangle marked 1 in Syndicate is me (pirate infestation). The giant red blob in the right is the Russians which successfully took back all their territory and more from my old alliance (which folded, btw). Every battle on the list except maybe 8 and 10 is just a different manifestation of the same war.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0702/gala ... 6.2.07.jpg

Here's the somethingawful.com version. It is less generous to BoB and uses hexagons. Otherwise, it is essentially the same.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Dwindlehop wrote:http://myeve.eve-online.com/news.asp?a= ... 1378&tid=7

Kind of a boring read if you don't know all the names, but essentially an alliance of the oldest and most experienced players (Band of Brothers) and their allies are fighting a coalition of most of the rest of the game. Most of the South is now a warzone. I think my corp may move into the theatre soon, but they haven't told the grunts yet.
Have to register to read the article.

So you're in what corp? Or unaffiliated? Not really sure what 0.0 means.

It's kind of funny, sometimes when I read the Somethingawful forums I come across mention of their EVE corp.