Eve

pew pew pew
Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Eve

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?l ... 0208161243

Eve won a lot of the MMORPG.com's 2005 Reader's Choice Awards.

They also broke 100k subscribers. In comparison, SL just announced breaking 130k users (presumably most of them are non paying, like myself).

Eve is basically the game I want to play, only I want to play a faster game. Maybe I should try it...

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

EVE? Really? Isn't EVE like the ultimate mining game?

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Re: Eve

Post by Jonathan »

Alan wrote:EVE? Really? Isn't EVE like the ultimate mining game?
Dwindlehop wrote:Eve is basically the game I want to play, only I want to play a faster game. Maybe I should try it...
Well, for starters, yes, that is technically correct. There is some hella slow mining in Eve. There's a pretty good description of the mining in this player's explanation of his Eve scam.

And, fundamentally, no, that's incorrect. You don't have to mine at all. I think it's probably the easiest and safest option for a new player to advance, though. At higher levels, the mining is a tense thing, like establishing an expansion base near resources in a Starcraft skirmish; it invites attack and requires forethought and defense.

Eve is essentially an open PvP world done right: no shards, equipment loss, real market economy (like SWG, not FFXI), and player-built cities. It's UO in space with a 21st century engine.

But yeah, there's mining.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g10.asp
Many people start out in EVE thinking they have to spend days mining ore to make money. This is not the case. Mining is the easiest and cheapest way to make some cash but there' are many other ways.
Meh.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

Haha that scamming story makes me want to play that game.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Eve has a 14 day free trial, no credit card required. I started a character Sunday night. I'm an Amarr with plans to relocate to Neesher. I'm still flying out of the newb academy for now. I think I'm going to train Gallante frigates and try to fit some remote repair drones.

My initial impression is that Eve is the anti-WoW. It isn't streamlined and it isn't for carebears. It is pretty polished, though, since it is a 3 year old game.

The character advancement is very nice. It is completely skill based, with no classes at all. It has races and bloodlines, but those only determine your starting attributes, position, and skills. They have no effect on your end-game (or mid-game). You cannot gimp yourself. There's no limit on skills you can learn, so no need for respecs. The worst you can do is make advancing your skills slower than normal, so just balance your attributes evenly.

The game is involved so the tutorial is correspondingly long. The tutorial proper takes a couple of hours and includes a combat section. Then there's a series of errand boy missions you can do to get enough cash to get some new skills and decent equipment. I've almost finished those. It seems like the errands aren't necessary, especially if you have a friend who can give you isk. The tutorial is pretty damn helpful, though.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Actually, you can skip all of that as long as you have a friend who can give you a ship. I killed some PvE pirates and found it much better than the damn errand boy missions and decent loot, too.

If anybody wants to try this game I can give you a ship.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

The corp I was thinking about applying to has had a war declared on them. Now they can be attacked without consequences even in high-security areas with cops (and vice-versa, of course).

The combat is actually rather good because you have to manage your range and speed. It's nice to play a game where you can attack while moving. I need to get into some PvP.

I think I'm gonna subscribe.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

If anyone wants to get a free trial, send me a message and I'll refer you. There's a raffle for buddy referrals.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Whee, did PvP last night with the corp I joined. A couple of bastards in cruisers were camping outside our station and killing everyone who undocked, so a bunch of us got together in our frigates along with some help from another corp fighting the same enemy and podded one of them and made the other dock. I died twice. I suck. I also had to log before it was over, so I didn't get the kill mail.

I like the balance here, because the cruiser costs 100x as much as the frigates that killed it, but only has 3x the hp. So noobs are reasonably effective, particularly with a couple weeks' of training so you can web (snare) and scramble (prevent from teleporting away). Just being able to web and snare without any guns at all makes you a PvP asset.

My corp has some blueprints for Caldari and Minmater ships, so those can be crafted for cheap.

Death was actually not a problem. I have enough cash that I can buy more crap frigates, especially with the 100% insurance policy I take out on my ships. :lol: I didn't lose skills the first few time I got podkilled because I had a clone. Second time, I lost like 9k (out of 215k) because I didn't make another clone. I thought I would lose 140k or something, so 9k was a very pleasant surprise. Anyway, I'll remember to buy a new clone after I die next time.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

A bunch o fthe people in my WoW guild are also playing that, enough to cause drama so it must be a good game! I think ill try it out so you can refer me I guess. I'll try it out this weekend sometime.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Here's what I'd wish I'd done to start:

Do the tutorial until you get bored or it tells you to undock. Undock and dismiss the tutorial, because it hides the interface from you including the all important combat buttons.

Jump to a system with a security rating of 0.7 or 0.8. I'm not sure if there are bad guys in .9 or 1.0 space. Warp to an asteroid belt. If there are red crosses on your overview called 'Blood something', 'Angel something', 'Guristas something', those are NPC pirates you can kill without getting a criminal flag. If there aren't any red crosses, warp to another asteroid belt.

Feel free to die a bunch because the noob frigate and clone are free. You won't lose anything, unless you manage to kill something and loot it. If you loot guns, go back to a space station, dock, enter fitting, take off your super crap civilian weapons and put the guns on. Don't forget ammo.

White crosses are cops and can't be killed by the noob frigate; don't target cops or they will spawn kill you for a while.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Start the client download ASAP. It's rate-limited, I think, and over 500MB.

http://www.eve-online.com/download/

Referral coming your way. Make a guy with low Charisma and good everything else if you can.

Here's the breakdown of the ships:
Amarr-tanks
Caldari -buff/debuff and missiles (big damage)
Gallente-like Caldari, but pets (drones)
Minmater - fast, glass cannon

It's not as distinct as a class system, though. That list is just guidelines. Every line has ships that can do each of the roles. A lot of people like Caldari for the missiles, so that is probably the most crowded noob zone.

Like I said, you can fly any ship in the game no matter what race you are.

Don't run missions or mine unless you want to get bored. There are combat mission agents, but they aren't normally found in high security space, like the newbie spawn.

Tell me your screen name and I'll give you some isk so you can buy a real frigate and non-crap guns. Unless you play an Amarr I'll probably be too far away to group. If you pick Amarr I can show you around. Dunno where your WoW guildmates are, though. All the noob space is connected, so you can always get anywhere in noob space. It just takes a while. I'm based out of Neesher now, which is between Amarr & Minmater space, I think.

These are the important noob skills:
Navigation - go faster
Electronics - better CPU + buff/debuffs
Engineering - better power grid + shield HP
Mechanic - more HP/resists
Gunnery - more damage
Racial Frigate to level 3

I'd train those and some of the cheap ones in the same groups to start. If you wind up subscribing you can train the learning skills later, but if you just want to fly around don't bother.

Here's my corp's beginner thread and Eve forum:
http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=6053.0

The official player guide is pretty good, too:
http://www.eve-online.com/guide/

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Referral sent, Dave. I spammed some more of you, because you should play.

Alan
Veteran Doodler

Post by Alan »

I'll try it out if they ever release a Mac version. I don't even have my PC hooked up.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Ha. You'll get WINE on Mac before you get that, I bet.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I installed it, played arounda bit and was in the middle of the tutorial before i wen to bed! ill try more today.
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

Tell me your screen name and I'll send you some isk.

Dave
Tenth Dan Procrastinator

Post by Dave »

I exited teh game halfway through the tutorial when I was leaving a docking and now im at the bottom of the learning curve/cliff
Last edited by Dave on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan
Grand Pooh-Bah

Post by Jonathan »

On the left side toolbar is a red & white life preserver icon that is the Help menu. Open that and there is an option to restart the various tutorials (station, flight, some others). If you pick a tutorial, you can fast forward through it by left clicking on the progress bar at the top. You can jump right back to where you were in the tutorial.